Set in the same Playa de La Mata beach, the Plaza del Embarcadero is the most emblematic of this district, accommodating the well known Torre de La Mata tower, built in the 14th century.
The Torre de La Mata tower is part of the group of watchtowers so characteristic of the Eastern coast. Its role was to monitor the coastline and to warn the residents before any potential pirate or Berber attacks, but it also took on a defensive function as its location boasted a protective wall, the reason for which it could be a small fortified enclosure at its origins. It has a back entrance and trabeated windows.
In the area nearby you can find a tourist information office and the Iglesia de Nuestra Señora del Rosario church. A few metres further North, on the same boundary with the municipality of Guardamar, is the saltworks canal, constructed in 1928 to allow water to enter from the La Mata Lagoon.
Torre La Matta, Alicante, Spain. Conseguir dirección